Get In Touch

If you'd like to get in touch with me fire me an email to I'd love to hear from others who love running, food and gadgets.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tight Calves While Running: What Can I Do?

Jay Cutler Calves
Gah! Figures, as soon as I up my mileage and sort out my adductor issue I'm stuck now with a super tight right calf. This isn't an entirely new pain, and frankly, it just feels like things are really tight, I wouldn't say it's compartment syndrome or 'calf heart attack', but then again, I just don't know much about my calves. Everyday I run I learn something new, and this week it's all about my calves.

So the question remains, what can I do about my tight calves? In short, I don't really know.  I've been stretching lots, massaging with The Stick and a Foam Roller, getting massages and just trying to get it to calm down. I think I need to look further up my leg and assess how tight my hamstrings and gluteus muscles are, I think they are causing the pain in my gastrocnemius, so hopefully I can stretch things out after work and I can get some easy killage in tonight. Especially since its currently mostly sunny and +11C!


  1. I know all about tight calves, calf knots, etc... Do you have any compression socks or sleeves? Try those while elevating and icing. Also, try these stretches:

    If all else fails, go in for a lower leg deep tissue massage. It will hurt like hell but they'll loosen them up for you. Good luck!

  2. Thanks Morgan! I do have CEP Compression socks, though I don't wear them religiously, maybe I should.

    I've been stretching out my soleus, gastrocnemius and massaging them with 'The Stick' and rolling them out on PVC pipe. It's helping a bit, definitely hurts, but I've noticed the greatest improvement when I stretch out my hamstrings.

    So tonight, in lieu of a run, I'll be working on my hamstrings with heat, stretching, massaging and rolling. Fun times ahead!

    Thank you so much for your input and advice.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...